Friday, August 15, 2008

What this is...


What, with all that's going on in the world right now, I decided to throw in my two cents worth (down to less than a penny at current exchange rates). Who am I? Well, in brief...male, mid forties (ouch), grown kids, a career paramedic and instructor in south Louisiana, USA. High school grad, some college, just getting back in school right about now. Interests outside EMS and fire service: Current events, moral issues, meteorology (the weather, OK?) , and outdoors type stuff - boats, ships, camping, fishing. And as like most in my field, I usually find myself working rather that doing the stuff I really like to do.

What can you find on these pages is a commentary on just about anything not EMS related. I have decided not to include that material here primarily because I spend so much time with it elsewhere, but also to defend against any confidentiality issues that may arise. Politics, current events, contemporary news items, defense of traditional values and culture are fair game, however. Although primarily a person of science, I am also intrigued by the theory that we (society) are headed to some type of major moral crossroads in the next four years, as suggested by the Mayans a few hundred years ago. The possibility that my generation is witness to the decline of another great power of history is a more secular view of the same concept.

Responsible comments and differing points of view are welcomed. I don't consider myself to be a very good debater, so don't expect to draw much fire. I will attempt to defend by opinions to the best of my ability. I will not respond to personal attacks on me or others. I eschew the so-called politics of personal destruction.

And finally, I am not sure where all this will lead, except to perhaps clarify my own thoughts and ideas about the world we live in by committing them to writing. The act of writing requires a greater organization than that of a fleeting thought in response to a sound bite. The electronic media, I believe, encourages shallow analysis; as a point is being pondered by the viewer/listener, the commentator is off to the next item. Oops, sorry, got started too soon!

(Picture caption: Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee, August 2008)

No comments: